Hulls Angels Charity tournament 24th September 2011

Made my way over to Hull’s Angels on Saturday to take part in a charity tournament for Hull Churches Home from Hospital service.
There was a Fantasy and a 40K tournament running on the day as well as a raffle, an auction and a scrap daemon challenge. So all in all a rather busy day but it all went smoothly, for the most part due to the fantastic organisation by Gonzo and the other guys who run the club.

 I, of course, took part in the 40K tournament which was good fun and people brought some interesting armies. 

The 40K one was played at 1500points and no named characters were allowed.
It consisted of 3 games, the first being king of the castle with pitched battle deployment, the second being kill points with spearhead deployment and the third being a capture game with three objectives and pitched battle deployment.
I got some pictures of the games I played in, but sadly my phone (which I use for a [rather pants] camera) ran out of battery during the second battle so I was unable to photograph the armies or any of the awards ceremonies after the fighting was done with which is a shame, but what can you do. (See below for the pictures I did manage to get)


The list I took was as follows:
  •  Chapter Master with boltgun, relic blade, artificer armour and melta bombs.
  • Chaplain with jump pack.
  • Standard 5 man terminator squad.
  • 10 man tactical squad with missile launcher, flamer and power fist all mounted in a Rhino with extra armour.
  • 10 man tactical squad with lascannon, meltagun and power fist with a Razorback with twin-linked lascannon and extra armour.
  • 10 man assault squad with power fist and a flamer.
  • Vindicator with siege shield and extra armour.
  • Whirlwind with extra armour. 
Ideally I would have liked to replace the terminator squad and chapter master with an assault terminator squad and a terminator captain with lightning claws. But since the models for that set up are currently unpainted, and the models for the force above are all fully painted, I took them instead. The tournament did not require painted models, but there were bonus points for having them and I also like to field a painted army whenever possible. 


Game 1 – Played against another Ultramarine player called Dan. 

Lost this one as I did not have any troops near the objective at the end of the game and Dan did.
Little miffed as to the circumstances of the loss, as technically it should have been a draw due to us agreeing a single point in the middle of the board was the objective at the start of the game. But at the end we were told the whole building counted as the objective and Gonzo ruled that Dan had troops nearby so had won. 
But ah well, didn’t want to be seen to argue with the judges so didn’t bother saying anything. 
My deployment

Opponents deployment

My turn 1 consisted of running for the objective with everything...


..that and failing to get in to an assault with a speeder.

My opponents turn 1 consisted of killing my Assault squad who had been left in the open....that and moving a few rhinos towards the objective.
Here you can see the objective that we agreed was where your troops needed to be within 3inches of, not the building my men are climbing up here in turn 2.
 Not a great deal else happened in my turn two, stopped a rhino from shooting and that is my lot.
However in Dans turn 2 he boarded his transports once more and came forward. His speeder that now has no gun and just its scouts inside moved round a building.
My turn 3 saw me get lined up for what I hoped was going to be a good bit of tank and passenger killing, but that didn't all go to plan...managed to wreck one tank and kill 9 of its occupants but the other was left in tact and full of death.

Turn 3 for my opponents however saw him unload his Assault Terminators just outside the objective and unload that tanks payload of death I mentioned right in to rapid fire range. He took out all bar 2 of my combat squad, which was surprising as I expected them all to die. A stray bit of flame from this squads flamer also managed to kill a Terminator...not so good.
At this point I thought it best to assault his Terminators to avoid him assaulting mine, which ended up with me down one more Terminator and him down 1.
I moved back with my Razorback and Vindicator and had a pop at the remaining Rhino on this side and also at the Tactical marines with the result of the tank being unable to shoot next turn and 5 marines dying. Not as good as I had hoped. 
The assault phase saw me reduced to my Terminator sergeant and Chapter Master whilst I killed the Chaplain.
Next up Dan moved in with his other Rhino and unloaded his remaining Tactical marines which shot at my hunkered down marines killing a fair few of them. He also charged my Vindicator and with Krak grenades and some fantastic rolling he wrecked it.
Following this the close combat behind this objective in the above picture saw me loose all my Terminators and my Chapter Master whilst only killing one more of his terminators. 

Turn 5 saw him kill off the rest of the units I had inside the building  but still not get any troops to within 3inches of the central objective. 
This is where the game ended and he claimed Victory for having his tactical squad up against the wall of the building which can again be seen in the above photo.


Game 2 – Played against Liam, who brought Renegade space wolves to the table. 

Won this game with 3 kill points to 2. Was a good game, but as is the norm for me I could not roll good result on the vehicle damage table for the life of me. Lots of Rhinos driving around that couldn’t shoot… like they care. Lots of power fist penetrating hits and lascannon shots hitting home to absolutely no effect.
My deployment

Liams Deployment




I moved as above, running my Tactical marines to where they are after disembarking from the Rhino.

My Orbital bombardment managed to kill 6 Grey Hunters.
My Assault marines managed to make it over to cover via movement and running.
 Liam moved forward with his army, and that was it, not shooting could be done due to range issues.
In turn 2 I completely miss judged my Assault marines range and managed to leave them as above out of range of an assault. The Tactical marines made it to the roof of the central building and I did do some shooting, but it was largely ineffective.

My Terminators also assaulted Liams Rhino but all they could manage with all those power fists was to stun the crew.
Next up Liam predictably jumped out of his transport and has him self a go with his ranged weaponry. This didn't do all that much. He also charged in to combat with my Assault marines with his Skyclaws and priest but lost the combat mainly due to numbers loosing one more claw to the fearless wound he had to take.
 Next round saw the dreadnought and the Grey hunters charge the terminators and kill the whole lot, but the Skyclaws did not fair so well and were reduced to their battle leader and the priest. 
As you can see the Terminators and Chapter master are rather dead and the Grey Hunters are running to help the battle leader and priest who are some what out numbered.
The other end of the battlefield saw me systematically dismantling the Grey Hunters (who were eventually completely wiped out), but constantly making the Rhino unable to shoot, which is rather frustrating as I had scored about 4 penetrating hits on it in total.
The Grey Hunters came to help the Priest and Pack leader just as they died and this combat ended with me another assault marine down and the hunters reduced to 3 men.
The dreadnought did manage to scale the building but not in time to kill the squad on the roof and claim a kill point. It also lost a weapon to my sergeants power fist retaliation attacks on the turn it charged.

This is where I ran out of Battery and could not take any more pictures.
There was little else to photograph in Game 2, the victory was mine and only a few more models died between the last photo and the game ending.

Game 3 – Played against Matt and his Space marines. 
Lost this one epically. It was one of those games where I looked at my tactics, and can honestly say ‘if the dice gods were kinder then I could have won’. So despite the loss I am fairly pleased as I know my tactics were sound, which Matt also commented on. But as the god were in fact cruel, I got my backend cooked and then handed to me on a plate…mmmmm.
By the end of the game Matt held one of the objectives, one other was contested and the other was the site of a fight between two elite’s choices with no troops to be seen.All i had left was 2 Tactical marines, 2 Terminators and my Chapter Master.

I did managed to blast Matt's land raider apart though, so through the whole day one of the few times I rolled more than a 2 on the damage chart was against that, which made me smile just a little.

The official winners list as announced by Gonzo are:
WARHAMMER FANTASY
1st - Jon Gardiner
2nd - Alan Herbert
3rd - Doug sedman

WARHAMMER 40K
1st - Chris Alcroft
2nd - John Maddison
3rd - Mathew Menzies

SPORTMANSHIP
Jon Gardiner

BEST PAINTED
Sam Dowd

WOODEN SPOONS
Fantasy - Daniel Brown
40k - Liam sullivan
 

So congratulations to all you guys! Especially to Chris who won the first place in 40k with his beautiful Blood Angels army.



All in all it was a fantastic day out, even if I did a little worse than I had hoped for.
But hey, it was my first tournament and I managed to avoid ‘winning’ the wooden spoon!!
I would have liked to fight something other than marine armies through out the day as well but you can’t have everything now can you haha. =P

I also won a paint set in the raffle and managed to get a Warhammer Fantasy rulebook in the auction for a lovely £22. I would have liked the Tactical Marines, but got out bidded, so went for the rulebook as it was my second choice out of the available items! =D

Thanks again to the organisers, especially Gonzo, and hope there will be more events soon as I really enjoyed myself. Also really pleased that the event raised a total of £800!!!

Thanks for reading.

Angryhatter